Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6.12 Underwood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.12 Underwood
    Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 9:40pm
Just wanted to post this photo album link to my recent acquisition.   I am a carbine amateur looking to gain knowledge, so opinions are welcome.  Note, that I have not taken the bolt down (I may try the .30 carbine casing trick soon), nor did I remove the safety or magazine catch/release.  

This isn’t a special rifle by any means, but the first thing that jumped out at me was how uniform the patina on the metal is.  That tells me that it hasn’t been messed with for ages.  Also, you can’t see it in the pictures, but it does have a faint, boxed O.G.E.K. arsenal rework mark, so this carbine was ok’ed by THE Elmer Keith!  Oh, has anyone ever seen an almost-cursive rework “P" on the grip like this?  What about the maker’s marks on the both side of the safety?  Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

Here is the link to the album.  Click the first photo, then use the left and right arrows to scroll through.

Thanks, 

B.O.
Blackford Oakes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 9:43pm
Oh, I forgot to mention that the sling and oiler slots were plugged when I acquired the rifle (see my thread in the Parts Markings forum).  I unplugged it and a Q-RMC was revealed!  Working at the advice of some members here to make the screw hole at the bottom of the “R" disappear. 

Thx
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 11:47pm
Sweet deal, A late Underwood.
has some nice parts on it too.

your carbine has been through a rebuild so all parts are mixed. If you really need to know what is in the bolt and want to take apart then do it inside a plastic bag so you do not lose parts.

With a background as a mechanic and a machinist I would consider myself quite adept at taking tricky things apart and putting together. The case trick will get it apart but putting it together can be an exercise in futility. 

If I may put it another way, I would not recommend trying it without a proper tool.
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 1:09am
Nice looking Underwood mixer. I like the pictures. wish everyone would use Google for posting pictures.
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 6:42am
I wouldn't frustrate myself with trying to beat-the-system and disassemble the bolt via a YouTube video and a couple of screwdrivers. Too much danger in skinning-up an important part. The tool can be had for much less than the normal asking price of over $40 and if you ever disassemble a bolt with it...you'll be glad you have it.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 8:53am
Thanks for the advice regarding the bolt, guys. Maybe I'll poke some on eBay or the CMP forums fit a bolt tool.

Any opinions on who made the safety or butt plate. I've seen the photos of all the manufactures' butt plates and can't decipher which one it is.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 10:00am
PM on the way.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 11:07pm
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/buttplates.html

Only two companies used the diagonal pattern. Don't look at center. Look at line of nibs in a row above the center. See if you can figure it out.

The double stamped safety is not uncommon.

I believe it was made by WM Steinen and transfered to Eaton Pond.
It was a replacement safety
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/buttplates.html

Only two companies used the diagonal pattern. Don't look at center. Look at line of nibs in a row above the center. See if you can figure it out.

The double stamped safety is not uncommon.

I believe it was made by WM Steinen and transfered to Eaton Pond.
It was a replacement safety

Thanks for the information on the safeties, New2brass.

My best guess is Underwood on the butt plate given the broad, flat circle around the screw hole.  I tried my best to decipher between the Inland and Underwood pattern in the nubs about the screw hole, but couldn't. 

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Look at line of nibs in a row above the center. See if you can figure it out.

If you count a full diagonal line just above the center boss you will see that Underwood has approximately 20 nibs 
Inland has about 16 nibs.

Your plate has approximately 20 nibs.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 10:03am
Great looking rifle! There's a lot to be said for a mix-master! You can shoot it with abandon! Enjoy...
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 2:51pm
Like your post. Well done. You have a piece of history, take pride in it and enjoy.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 5:29pm
Will do! Merry Christmas!
 Post Reply Post Reply