Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 round M1 Carbine magazines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 round M1 Carbine magazines
    Posted: Feb 20 2022 at 9:22am
Has anyone ever found a supplier for a reliable 20 round magazine? If so please post.

I'd like to try them for awhile. I have plenty of 15, 30 and even one reliable after market 40 round mag but in my opinion the 30 round and larger mags detract fron the ease of carry. The 15's are great but I'd like to try 20 round mags to see 8f they're convenient. 

I have M2 releases on my Carbines.
David Milisock
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 2:12pm
Google M1 carbine magazines and surf around those.
Try Ebay, that's where I got mine.

Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 4:03pm
Just rec'd a 15 round mag to add to my 20s and 30s.  Surprisingly, the 15 round mag is the same length as the 20 round mag!  I expected different lengths but they ain't.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

Just rec'd a 15 round mag to add to my 20s and 30s.  Surprisingly, the 15 round mag is the same length as the 20 round mag!  I expected different lengths but they ain't.

Do your 20 round mags hold 20 rounds?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 8:03am
Not much of a comfort improvement with a capacity blocked magazine now is it? Don’t plan to take any of my carbines to war. I have collected a drawer-full of 5-rounders over the years. Can’t beat those for handiness and they meet anybody’s hunting or gun-grabbers capacity restrictions. Saves money on mag-dumps too.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 8:31am
That was a mistake.  Not 20 round mags, but 10 round mags.
The 10 rounders are the same length as the 15 rounders.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 8:46am
What length are the 5 rounders?  Are they metal?  Are they 15 rounders w/ some sort of blocking gizmo?  I bought a 5 rounder on ebay; in reality it was only a 4 rounder and made of plastic and would not slide into the magazine port.  Would like to have a metal one but forget it if it's same length as 15 rounder.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 9:50am
Haven’t measured a 5, but they are pretty close to flush with the housing…just enough left out to grab the mag. Some folks hate these, but the Iver Johnson plastic mags are good feeders. Might require a little fitting, but they feed most anything. USGI and repos are steel just like the 15/30 rounders. 

Those plastic mags often need a little polishing to fit a spec. GI housing, but it depends on the housing. I might purchase yours for the right price, but not for what they ask on auction sites. I use them for other applications as well.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 10:18am
5 rounder Metal mag. close to flush w/ housing!?  This is a must have for me.  Will be a great asset to my 30 carbine pig terminator apparatus.

This plastic one was made by Universal Firearms Corp.  Actually holds only 4 rounds.  Protrudes from housing by 1.25 inch. I can get it into the mag. port but only if I pound it in judo chop style.  It won't feed cartridges into chamber.  Then very difficult to extract from housing.  I'm awaiting a response from ebay for return/refund.  If I end up in possession of it I'll mail it to you freebie if you still want it. 

Thanks x the info and scotch tape deal.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 10:37am
You are completely welcome. One just has to know where to shave-off a little material. Commercial carbine housings were a little more sloppy. The metal 5-rounders can get expensive, but they do show up. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 12:42pm
Back in the day and probably still exists in certain locations was are hunting guidelines where you are only allowed 3, 4, or 5 shot capacity. Manufacturers filled the need by either cutting down magazines or making new magazines with limited capacity.

There is a newsletter that has an interview with a commercial supplier of 30 round magazines that saw the AWB coming and converted many of their 30 round magazines to 5 round. this is evident by the third nib associated with the 30 round magazines.

The AWB as well as some locations or states declaring that a standard capacity carbine magazine is now a large capacity magazine and mandating an arbitrary magazine capacity as appropriate.
The solution was blocking devices, but the rules are different across the country

There is a cottage industry these days where blocking devices are made to convert even 30 round magazines down to 10 rounds.

I have no experience with the Universal plastic magazines.
I have seem stainless steel Iver Johnson magazines, but I have never heard of IJ making a plastic 30 carbine magazine. Were these marked IJ or was it from the acquisition of the Universal leftovers?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 1:05pm
I bought one of the plastic Universal 4 round mags awhile back, floydthecat guided me through the "shave-down" and fitting process and it works great and will feed any type of ammo.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I have no experience with the Universal plastic magazines. 
I have seem stainless steel Iver Johnson magazines, but I have never heard of IJ making a plastic 30 carbine magazine. Were these marked IJ or was it from the acquisition of the Universal leftovers?

You can find them listed as either IJ or Universal. They are all marked Universal and were obviously left-over from the acquisition of Universal by IJ. 

I have attempted to adjust the gray plastic ones, but they are not as amiable to being fitted to a tighter USGI housing. I’d avoid those if one comes across one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply