Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st use of square S flip sight on WRA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st use of square S flip sight on WRA?
    Posted: May 22 2023 at 2:44pm
The latest CCNL on the first block of WRA carbines(CCNL #336) documents the last reported use of the serif S flip sight on WRA carbines, but it isn't clear when the first reported use of the square S flip sight might have been in the first block of WRA carbines. Other than the rear sight reported in CCNL #336 on WRA 1007463 is there any other data to further pinpoint the start of the use of the square S flip sight?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 7:13pm
Mike, 1007463 is pretty early, everything I have read implies that the square S flip was the sight used the most throughout the 1st block. Going out on a limb I would say the square S sights may have been in mixed use from the beginning of the block. I think the issue with trying to narrow down an actual "first use date" would depend on how a data sheet was actually filled out, as many reporters were not specific enough in their description of S on the side. Hopefully the many that are smarter than me on this will chime in.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Mike in NC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 9:20pm
Thanks Wayne, I was aware of 1007463, but wondered if any members had seen the square S flip sight on earlier WRA carbines that either looked original or at least looked like they might be original top assemblies (receiver, rear sight, barrel band, and front sight). Even the serif S is hard to see as being different if you don't look closely. So many slight differences in parts weren't always noticed, part of the fun of these animals.

Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Mike, 1007463 is pretty early, everything I have read implies that the square S flip was the sight used the most throughout the 1st block. Going out on a limb I would say the square S sights may have been in mixed use from the beginning of the block. I think the issue with trying to narrow down an actual "first use date" would depend on how a data sheet was actually filled out, as many reporters were not specific enough in their description of S on the side. Hopefully the many that are smarter than me on this will chime in.
 Post Reply Post Reply