Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1945 Winchester front band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parmel43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 Winchester front band
    Posted: Sep 26 2021 at 10:33am
I have attached a close up of my Winchester front band.  I would appreciate any thoughts as to whether this is the correct production C stamping for the band or if this is the after war production.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2021 at 1:14pm
Not a Winchester Barrel Band, the Barrel Band that you have pictured was Made by C. Cowles and Co. and is a replacement part. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
parmel43 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parmel43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2021 at 1:19pm
Thanks for the quick and complete reply.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2021 at 2:30pm
For clarity, C. Cowles did make bands for Winchester marked with the C higher.
As pointed out the low C is believed to be a post war or replacement contract
parmel43 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parmel43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2021 at 11:27am
thanks for additional info.  Would appear to be difficult to separate low C or High C timing?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2021 at 12:14pm
WWII is the timing. One is wartime. The low C is a post war replacement. Exactly when, I don't know but it could be determined, I suppose, by looking up the contract for them.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2021 at 2:20pm
Hmm, spelling the same word incorrectly time after time is similar to Einstein's quote about insanity.
RWS-67 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RWS-67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2021 at 3:15pm
C- Cowells Co. from New Haven Ct. is still in business.  They've moved from there to North Haven Ct., and are now in the former Marlin Firearms facility that supplied barrels & stocks during WW2  Only 5 + miles north off I-91.  Their N.H. facility, was at the time less than 1.5 miles from the Winchester facility. Hope this helps....

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2021 at 3:21pm
The correct name of the company is C. Cowles.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
RWS-67 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWS-67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2021 at 3:38pm
WELL EXCUSE MEEEE............
HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2021 at 5:57pm
I just learned about the correct location / orientation of the World War II stamped C for this type barrel band as well.

Here’s a picture of the correct wartime C. Cowles “central” C stamp location for a Winchester.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

Hmm, spelling the same word incorrectly time after time is similar to Einstein's quote about insanity.

Its part of the job description, but Einstein is misattributed for that quote as there is no evidence that he ever said it.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

Its part of the job description, but Einstein is misattributed for that quote as there is no evidence that he ever said it.

Yep, definitely a party pooper. Of course the point was missed totally. My guess is someone thinks they know something about everything and nothing has ever stopped them from expanding the airwaves with lots of BS.
parmel43 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parmel43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2021 at 12:19pm
Great photo of the WWII WRA carbine barrel band.  Answered my question fully.
HARLEY08 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARLEY08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2022 at 6:43pm
The C marked band IS original to late WRA Carbines.
Mine cane out of the Winchester Musuem and it has the C band!
M1DB
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2022 at 10:44am
Here is another band problem maybe we can sort out. As I understand, proof marks on Win. barrels are, The W is 5 7/8 in. from the muzzle and pw in the ovel is 7 1/2 in from the muzzle for the typ 2 band.
 I have a 5.76 Winchester that I believe to be as it left the factory. The proof on the Win. barrel are
 W is 2.7/8 from the muzzle and the pw in the ovel is 4.7/8 from the muzzle and has a typ 3 low C band and you can see both proofs. 
   Can some one tell me why this different from what I read.  Date, ser#, ww2, post war ect.
 Thanks all for info.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2022 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Smoky 1 Smoky 1 wrote:

Here is another band problem maybe we can sort out. As I understand, proof marks on Win. barrels are, The W is 5 7/8 in. from the muzzle and pw in the ovel is 7 1/2 in from the muzzle for the typ 2 band.
 I have a 5.76 Winchester that I believe to be as it left the factory. The proof on the Win. barrel are
 W is 2.7/8 from the muzzle and the pw in the ovel is 4.7/8 from the muzzle and has a typ 3 low C band and you can see both proofs. 
   Can some one tell me why this different from what I read.  Date, ser#, ww2, post war ect.
 Thanks all for info.

Good pictures of your rifle including the front sight staking would help assess the originality.
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2022 at 1:02pm
I hope the pictures work ok. they are not real good.
 Post Reply Post Reply