The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Korean ammo. Be aware

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korean ammo. Be aware
    Posted: Mar 14 2022 at 2:35pm
Have been online searching for ammo and have contacted 4 vendors advertising Korea surplus ammo, 1,010 rounds in stripper clips all in a milsurp green ammo box.  I am very suspicious.  First of all, one of them will not allow phone contact.  2 others I phone contacted spoke in very heavy middle eastern and heavy far eastern (Serbia area) accents.  What they are saying doesn't make any sense.  Two I contacted by phone are sending me strange TEXTS in the middle of the night.  All 4 vendors deny payment by PayPal or credit card.   All demand payment in BitCoin or other cryptocurrency which would be impossible to recover if sale goes wrong.

Anyone heard anything on this?  Sounds very shady to me.

sls

"You don't need 30 rounds to hunt with."
True, but the founding fathers didn't write the 2nd Amendment because the deer were coming.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2022 at 2:49pm
Sounds very shady, I use ammo seek when searching for ammo see link below.

For what it's worth RTI is selling surplus ammo, they are saying it is US surplus, but it is actually made in the Netherlands possibly for Germany, it has a NWM lot# and headstamp. I have no experience with NWM ammo so no idea how it shoots. Price does not appear too bad but I think they charge high shipping cost.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2022 at 3:08pm
Wayne,
Thanks for the tips.  I'm a re-loader so bought 250 rounds of Bellot & Sellier (Czeck Republic) ammo at a dollar a round.  Will reload the spent brass for ~17 cents/round.
With that I can plink my heart out.
Thanks again.

sls

"You don't need 30 rounds to hunt with."
True, but the founding fathers did not write the 2nd Amendment because the deer were coming.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2022 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

Will reload the spent brass for ~17 cents/round.
With that I can plink my heart out.

Several of us here share your enthusiasm. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2022 at 4:56pm
I agree. That all sounds super shady.
I've dealt with some borderline shady companies during the pandemic, but all had normal payment systems and contact.   S&B should be fine.  If you happen to chronograph it, a number of us would be interested in the results. 

Just looked a Ammoseek and see .30 carbine prices have crept back up in the last few weeks.
I bought Magtech FMJ 4 weeks ago at .54 /rnd before shipping and taxes about .68 with, and that was not the cheapest ammo at that time. 

Even on ammoseek, I pick and choose amongst the venders.
There are also a couple of decent venders that don't participate in that search engine.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2022 at 6:32pm
I do have a Chronograph (chrony)  Will certainly keep y'all informed.
My shots are pretty lousy at first targets w/ the carbine.  Shoots way different than my Garand.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 8:10am
You can safely and easily push an 85-grain .308 Mauser projectile up to 2400-plus fps with 17-grains H110. Round nose or hollow-point and it’s a published safe load. Might have feeding issues with some actions or magazines, but that can be corrected with the right magazine.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

I do have a Chronograph (chrony)  Will certainly keep y'all informed.
My shots are pretty lousy at first targets w/ the carbine.  Shoots way different than my Garand.

I'm nowhere's knowledgable enough to be advising on this.
I'd love to get further on what the original 1942-45 factory and government testing groups were. 
Military known distance targets for carbine qualification were on 'A'  targets.   Those had a 10" bullseye and were shot at 100 yards.  Will start a thread here on this at some point.

To get some idea of what others have been getting out of their carbines, skim through this section.   One that I started, a few jumped in with their results as well, and incudes discussions about various factors effecting accuracy.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/range-results_topic5139.html

I'll say I'm still working my technique.  The other day I was experimenting with moving the butt further in on my shoulder than I use with say a musket.  Haven't tried at the range yet.  Just seeing if helped with head position etc.

Normally I'm using SR-1 targets at 100 yards.  So that's become my basis for comparisons.
The other day I went to the indoor range which is only 25 yards.  Instead of scaling down a SR-1, I just used some scaled down 10" bullseye 'A' targets I already had made.  It has a 2.5" bullseye. 

Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 2:05pm
I read much of the thread referenced above by Matt.

Barrel hang?  Is there an optimal hang?  (my type III barrel band is tightened down as far as it could be done)

Recoil plate adjustment?  What?

Could something like the above cause my carbine to be shooting way high?

Thoughts please.

Thanks
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 3:17pm
Sawbones,

Lengthy, but excellent article that will explain barrel hang, recoil plate adjustment, and otherwise how to improve accuracy on a carbine.

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=185373
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 3:58pm
Breezed thru the CMP thread.  Very informative.  A must read for any and all M1 carbiners.
Thanks, Bonnie
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 4:08pm
When I shoot different positions and see different results I know that's not the gun, but me.
I'm still at point where most the variation is me, not the carbines or ammo. Wish I had a coach watching me.
One thing I noticed is that my eye plays games with the rear peep sight.  Nowadays I have to keep the post in the middle of the top half circle of the rear, because the hole doesn't really look round anymore. 

I assume you're shooting 6'oclock hold at the closer ranges 100 yards.    Point of impact is about 18" high when using the long distance (300 yard) rear sight.  Did that accidently a couple times. 
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 4:21pm
Part of my problems is my eyesight and lenses which are simply my bifocals.  I pulled out my Knobloch shooting glasses (the monocular cyclops looking gizmo) and will give that a spin later today.  Ya gotta relax when using peep sight.  Relax, let your eye find the center of the aperture.  Maybe you are 'trying too hard".
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 4:27pm
Sounds like you need a bigger peep hole like a ghost ring. The eye doesn't see the ring and try to focus on the ring, just on the post. Your eye will naturally center in the ring even if you aren't aware of it.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 4:31pm
Smokepole, that's 'zackly what I was trying to say....just couldn't find the right words.  I guess that's why I flunked English back in high school.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2022 at 6:21pm
There is a thread on the forum about actually making the rear sight aperture smaller in order to help focus on the tip of the front sight post. The aperture was made smaller by inserting the red straw from a spray can like WD40 and cutting it off flush with a razor blade. I initially thought the idea was ridiculous but tried it and it really worked. 

edit to add: Found the old thread linked below.

Edited by W5USMC - Mar 15 2022 at 7:25pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2022 at 10:37am
W5U, that's fine if you are trying to focus on the front sight, but if the rear peep is distorting your vision, you need a ghost ring so the front isn't distorted too. It isn't a question of focus so much as it is distortion.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply