The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting marking Info required by experts!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bensonny View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting marking Info required by experts!
    Posted: Mar 02 2022 at 4:23pm
It is so difficult to pin it down it could be Korean, Vietnamese, japanese or old Chinese. it's a mystery definitely had red paint on it at some point.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2022 at 4:31pm
The U.S. sent 3994 carbines to Japan via the Military Assistance Program (MAP) between 1951-1963. 
Are you sure the markings are Japanese and not Korean? 
And yes, Howa did make carbines, see below link for info.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bensonny View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2022 at 10:31am
Hello i recently purchased a gun stock research has led me to believe it's a late type 3 pot belly m1 or m2 however it has a Japanese script branded into it translated to (Virtuous) and what looks like if old red paint covering it at some point. Could it be japanese made or likely to be US and maybe fell into the hands of Japanese in the pacific? read somewhere Howa made guns after the war? Any help info offered I would be grateful. 
 Post Reply Post Reply