Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identifying the Stamp on this Flat Bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Identifying the Stamp on this Flat Bolt
    Posted: Nov 21 2021 at 9:12pm
I recently pickled up a rearsenalled M1a1 and upon getting it apart, the bolt has a stamp on it I can't identify, I have asked several friends and we are all in the same boat. several ideas have been brought up. ill attach the best photo I can get, but if anyone messages me their number or email, ill send a video that's a little clearer. it is a blues flat bolt with the proof punch on it. 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2021 at 10:28pm
Hi Dirty 30,
Odds are it's a Partially struck H.U. 
A bolt made by Howe Machinery for Underwood.
We see these Miss-Stamped every now and then. I believe when they try stamping too close to the bottom of the Bolts left lug, the top of the stamp hits part of the lug, Distorting the marking..... Just like your example.  
Sometimes when struck like I described they may look like just the bottom half of the H. with a short topped U. Sometimes the H looks like a R with part of the top missing.
It all depends on how badly the stamp was impeded by bumping the bolt lug.

**OK, I found it. Look at this article, which includes some other miss-stamps... etc 
1 being like your H.U. bolt.

HTH,
Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2021 at 10:34pm
From the link I added. This one looking like a partial R. and U. because of the top of the H missing

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2021 at 10:49pm
It looks almost just like the H.U. Thank you so much. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2021 at 10:54pm

We do not know for sure that it was Howe, But I am sated my case as to why it is probably Howe.
It could possibly be Petrolium Heat and Power

Maybe one day we can check the box by finding concrete evidence.

The one in odd markings I was thinking an outside possibility of K.U as well as R.U., but most likely H.U. as stated bashed up a bit.
If there was a K.U you would know who I say made it.
The R.U. sparked the seed of the article above as there is no R ( or V, X, Y, Z) subcontractors to Underwood. This lack of R was instrumental in my theory of the system Underwood used.
 Post Reply Post Reply