Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member with new to me carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMiracleTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member with new to me carbine
    Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 8:57pm
Hello all, just joined and this is my first post with a question. I recently bought two M1 Carbines... a 1943 built Quality Hardware and a U-marked National Postal Meter with Union Switch and Signal made receiver. They are both mostly correct carbines that need a few tweaks.

The QHMC came with an aftermarket stock and correct Q-RMC handguard. I just purchased a high wood oval oiler Q-RMC stock to make it whole again. I noticed on the right side if the stock under the rear sight is what appears to be a possible rebuild stamp that looks to be a C-SA and a last letter that I cannot make out. Would that be a San Antonio Arsenal rebuild mark? It also has a P in a square on the grip. If so, does anyone know what specifically the rebuild would have been? Adding a type 3 barrel band with bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight? 

BMiracleTX View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMiracleTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 9:03pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 9:10pm
C-SAA would be San Antonio Arsenal, and a P in a square on the grip bottom is expected on a San Antonio Arsenal rebuild. See the link below for the work performed during arsenal rebuilds.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMiracleTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 9:15pm
So, I guess a rifle bearing this stamp should have a type 3 band with bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight?
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 9:33pm
I'd say that's a fair assumption.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 10:29pm
BmiiracleTX, welcome to the forum and congrats on the acquisition of your two carbines. There is so much to learn about these old firearms and this is the place to do it.  I've only owned my two Inlands for a short time and have benefited greatly from hanging out here. You will, too.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 12:01am
that is early arsenal marking-good chance it is stock orig highwood stock and not modified
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMiracleTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 7:28am
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

that is early arsenal marking-good chance it is stock orig highwood stock and not modified

Yes, it is an oval cut high wood stock. What do you mean "not modified"? As in it should not have bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight? I just want to ne sure it has the correct post arsenal parts on it that match the stock and arsenal stamp. It came with bayonet lug, very loose fitting toe 3 stamped rear sight, and M2 magazine catch, but with a push button safety which I thought was wierd.  
 Post Reply Post Reply