Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Inland Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Inland Carbine
    Posted: Sep 14 2021 at 11:18am
I picked up an Inland carbine minus the hand guard in pretty rough condition.  Appears to have been stored improperly for many years, tons of surface rust.  In restoring the Inland, (which worked out beautifully) I discovered that every part except the push button safety was Inland stamped.  It had a type II barrel band so I considered replacing the milled adjustable rear sight (marked PI, Inland) with a leaf sight.  The serial number indicated a mid to late 1944 build date.  I read where most manufacturers started replacing leaf sights with milled adjustables in late 43, early 44 so I'm leaving the adjustable sight in place.  It also has an Inland round bolt, which Inland started using in part in 1944.  Should I keep the round bolt?  The sling appeared original and the oiler was marked BK for Blake Manufacturing, a late war addition.  Really happy with this find.
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2021 at 11:57am
Post some pictures please!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2021 at 12:44pm
Guess I lean toward keeping the parts on it at least until finding out more about this carbine's history.
If planning to shoot it, I'd stick with the round bolt especially if it head spaces correctly.
If your goal is "as manufactured" restoration, wait until you have more Inland specific info. 
I'd be curious what version operatiing slide it has.
Praetorianseven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2021 at 6:39pm
Brilliant Matt, the operating slide is a type V with the angled bolt cam and stamped with the 7161843 on the bottom as well as the PI inside the op slide.  The round bolt would probably be correct with the Type V op slide.  Working on pictures.
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2021 at 7:26pm
Having trouble loading pics.  Need to slim them down.
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2021 at 9:58pm
Three posts about sizing pics can be found here

If you still have issues contact me and I will resize and upload them
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:28am
Dan,
How do I message you with the photos?  That sounds great.
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:32am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_small_rear_sight.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:50am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:37am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_bolt_pointed_lug_smaller.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:53am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:40am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_bolt_marking_smaller.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:54am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:42am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_op_slide_bottom_markings_smaller.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:53am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:48am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_inside_op_slide_marking_smaller.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:52am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:51am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_op_slide_bolt_cam_smaller.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:52am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:53am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_barrel_band_smaller.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:51am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 8:54am
Let me know if you need different pics.

Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 9:38am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_whole_left_side.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:49am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 9:39am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5969/Inland_carbine_whole_right_side.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Sep 15 2021 at 10:48am
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Praetorianseven Praetorianseven wrote:

Dan,
How do I message you with the photos?  That sounds great.

It looks like you figured it out, Great!

I think you are uploading and then copying the picture and pasting into the post, but you are copying the preview size. Try clicking on the preview picture first and then copy, you will gt the bigger picture.

Also, be patient when you click upload If you click upload more than once you get the same picture uploaded multiple times. I deleted the doubles so you are good!

Nice AS T2 band!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 1:35pm
Thanks!  I'll work on that.
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 6:45pm
From the pics you posted so far, it appears to be an original transitional Inland. I wouldn't change a thing. What's the approx serial? Was it just surface rust that cleaned off? The parts you posted look pretty good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>