Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Barrel Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Barrel Identification
    Posted: Aug 06 2021 at 5:26pm
I'm having a difficult time ID'ing the barrel on one of my Inland's (s/n 791609). 

Here are the only markings I've found on it.

Front (top)-

Middle-

Rear-

Also, the front left side of the receiver is stamped SG. 

Does this indicate that the receiver was produced by Saginaw Gear even though the top rear is stamped Inland Div.?
  Thanks in advance for any help!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2021 at 5:30pm
I'd say Buffalo Arms
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2021 at 6:52pm
Saginaw Gear made more than one bloc of S/N'd Inland marked receivers.  I have an Inland from SG's first bloc.  There was at least one other bloc of receivers that went to Inland.  

That information is the main page of this site, a button called "serial numbers" IIRC.  Scroll down, not real far.  
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Quietus Quietus wrote:

Saginaw Gear made more than one bloc of S/N'd Inland marked receivers.  I have an Inland from SG's first bloc.  There was at least one other bloc of receivers that went to Inland.  

That information is the main page of this site, a button called "serial numbers" IIRC.  Scroll down, not real far.  

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html#subcontracted
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 9:17pm
That S is stamped on top of an ordnance wheel. I think it is a post war replacement barrel, possibly Springfield. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 9:55pm
Still Say Buffalo Arms.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 11:56pm
Thought SA and BA barrels could both be found with a Stamped CC?
I've never seen a SA stamped sideways, plus they're usually dated.
Can't remember if BA used Swaged or Milled Gas Cylinder..... and too late to look up.

I'd say BA because it's stamped sideways, with a broken B stamp.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 12:27am
Yes Charlie, both BA and SA could have a CC on the flat, there was also sometimes a letter stamped near the CC on BA barrels. BA barrels have a swagged gas cylinder. On the OP's barrel you can make out the lightly struck B under that square punch mark.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 11:38am
A thread with SA barrel info (and requests for more info)

Every SA barrel I have observed was roll marked in this orientation and have a date. Also what some may have missed is there are some proof marks  mid barrel and could be on the top, bottom or side.

Buffalo barrels are normally rolled in the same orientation, but there were earlier barrels marked BA with no date.
Here is a transitional barrel that has both markings BA and Buffalo Arms 6-1943
note the bounce marked of the BA due to it being hand stamped. Evidently they ordered the roll die but sent out barrels before the dies came in.

Buffalo Arms barrels also could have markings on top of the barrel to the rear of the gas chamber.
Take a look and let us know what you find

35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 11:57am
I'll look again and try to get a better picture of the "A" stamp.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 9:13pm
OK. The A does look like the BA font. I guess I'll change my mind and agree with you guys. Most likely a Buffalo Arms barrel. BTW, I've seen the SA oriented both ways on barrels.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2021 at 1:01am
I know it's frowned upon, but I'm posting some new photos via Imgur in hopes they'll be larger and perhaps yield more detail.

The mysterious "A" again. I believe that is a "B" under the diamond....or whatever one calls it-

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6129/Barrel_BA.jpg

Markings from behind the gas cylinder, on top of the barrel-

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6129/Barrel_chamber1.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6129/Barrel_chamber2.jpg
 Hopes this helps.

Edited by New2brass - Aug 10 2021 at 9:26am
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

I know it's frowned upon, but I'm posting some new photos via Imgur in hopes they'll be larger and perhaps yield more detail.

I usually copy pictures on 3rd party sites and replace them in the post. This time I added the picture and left the IMGUR images so down the line it can be seen what happens with 3rd party hosting when the picture expires and no longer available.

The first picture I cropped the subject and did not resize.
the next two I resized from 768 pixels wide down to 750, the detail is negligible.

when I right click the IMGUR pictures and open in a new tab this is what I get

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/IMGUR.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply