Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rockola Barrel Match/Build to Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdcogdill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rockola Barrel Match/Build to Receiver
    Posted: Mar 26 2021 at 4:04pm
For a Rockola receiver with a S/N of 4,576,486 (manufacture timeframe between Nov 1943 and Mar 1944), would it have been matched or built out of the factory with a barrel marked with "6-43", and the gas cylinder assembly marked with "ROCK-OLA"?

Any insight would be appreciated.
JCogdill
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2021 at 4:53pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Most of the Rock-Ola's I've seen in that serial number range had undated Rock-Ola barrels. Check here.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/m1-carbine-serial-number-spread-sheets_topic5249.html
JackP
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2021 at 8:08am
Check and see if the barrel is a short skirt. I have seen another example where a 4.5 Rock Ola had a dated barrel. The carbine appeared to be all correct for the serial number except the barrel. The barrel had the long skirt converted to a short skirt. All wear patterns matched and it appeared to be original. The consensus among some fellow collectors was that it had been one of the early Rock Ola barrels that was pulled out of production because of problems Rock Ola had with their early barrels. It was later repaired and put back into the production line. I believe it was War Baby where there was discussion about early Rock Ola barrels having to be straightened out.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2021 at 12:39pm
This staking could possibly be a result of Rockola barrel issues. It was found under an adjustable sight when removed so I placed a type I on for the photo.
From memory it's a Quality HMC rec with 12-42 Rockola barrel.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2021 at 9:07pm
I have a Rock-ola 4.6M with stake marks that look similar. Always thought it looked odd for flip staking. Undated RO short skirt barrel.
jdcogdill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdcogdill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2021 at 10:20pm
Thanks for the information.  I appreciate the help!

JD
JCogdill
 Post Reply Post Reply