The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Tampa, FL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lacrosse13bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Tampa, FL
    Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 12:47am
Hello from Tampa, FL! I joined the group because I have an interest in historical firearms and I'm just starting to get into firearms in general. 

I currently do not own an M1 Carbine directly but I'm surely set to inherit my grandfather's that my dad currently owns. I laughed reading one of the group warnings about the guns being listed as used in WW2 and brought home in a soldier's gear bag because that is exactly how we got ours. My grandfather was in the 101st and jumped on D-day. We have the folding stock version the paratroopers used.

Fun fact, my grandfather's best friend Fritz Niland, was the real life guy who they made the movie "Saving Private Ryan" about. If you do any googling on him sometimes the photos they use are my grandfather's photos of Fritz. My grandfather is actually in the one that the KofC used in a recent article (not that recent, 3/2019) called "The real 'Private Ryan' and the chaplain who saved him". Pretty cool.

I also want to be able to purchase an M1 Garand from CMP so hopefully I figure out how being in this group accomplishes that!

Terrible time to get into firearms but I'll take any tips on getting a few historical pieces in my arsenal. Glad to be here!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 8:10am
Welcome lacrosse. Good story. We'd love to see pics of your grandfather's M1A1.
I'm also a Garand collector and I will say joining the Garand Collectors Association is well worth it for the quarterly magazine alone and they organize other events as well.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 8:25am
Welcome to the forum. That is an impressive introduction, thanks for sharing.  One part that jumps out is your statement, "We have the folding stock version the paratroopers used."  Sounds like an original M1A1.  Please post pics and I'm thinking there may be a few others interested in getting more documentation. You may want to read up on completing a datasheet.  If you haven't done so, click on the carbine at the top of the page and it'll take you to all the club references. There you can find the models and read up on the M1A1.  I would NOT shoot your grandfathers carbine unless you mount it in another stock.  An original stock is worth more than the rest of it and they do get fragile.

If you're wanting to get more historical firearms than a CMP Garand, do you have or have you considered getting a FFL type 03 Collector of Curios and Relics?  You can Google it.  Also search on this forum for discussions as well as information for the CMP affiliation. 

Looking forward to seeing pics of the M1A1 when you get the chance.

Regards
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 10:36am
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
lacrosse13bb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lacrosse13bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 12:02pm
Thanks for the insights about the other groups and the FFL! I'm interested in both! I'll immediately pass that information on to my dad about the stock!

I'm sorry to be a tease I figured you'd want pics but right now the gun is trapped in NY in quarantine! My dad is trying to get it down to Florida I'm just not sure the timing on it. I know I have some pictures somewhere or I'll see if my dad has some too.

I was already reviewing the datasheet process. I'm an engineer so I'm already dying to take it apart and get that data for everyone. We'll all just have to be a little patient.

Thanks again!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 2:21pm
Engineer huh?  I can relate to that.  A blessing and a curse.  Just depends who you ask.  Preferably not my wife.   :)

As a side note, I know I would, and I dare say others as well, would love to see any of your grandfather's pictures you previously mentioned.  Lot's of history there.

Thanks!
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 8:26pm
Welcome to the forum. What a great story about your grandfather and his friend. Thanks for sharing. We all look forward to seeing photos of that carbine. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lacrosse13bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 11:32pm
I'm still working on the carbine but my grandfather is on the right.

James "Jack" Breier is my grandfather.

LOL

Sgt. Frederick “Fritz” Niland, who would become a member of Twin City Council 413 in Tonawanda, N.Y., stands with fellow paratrooper Jack Breier during training at Camp Mackall, N.C., in 1943. The reported loss of all three of Niland’s brothers following the D-Day invasion of Normandy in 1944 was the inspiration for the 1998 film Saving Private Ryan. TCD/Prod.DB / Alamy Stock Photo
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lacrosse13bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 11:51pm
George Koskimaki writes some really great books on everything that happened to the 101st during WW2. I'm trying not to steal too much of Mr. Koskimaki's work but my grandfather has a story in here when he was a "POW". This is an excerpt from "Hell's Highway"...

kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2021 at 1:00am
Welcome we are neighbors. I’m in the Carrollwood area.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2021 at 5:53am
Great picture.  Thanks for sharing.  Looking forward to more.
 Post Reply Post Reply