The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from NC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
palmettopilot View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from NC
    Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Originally posted by palmettopilot palmettopilot wrote:

I have no reason to believe the Lyman manufactured Winchester front sight is fake. It was packed with cosmoline. I purchased that particular piece from Riverbank Armory because from my research it's correct for the barrel. 

You are aware of the fact that Riverbank is notorious for selling reproduction parts right?

I was not. I am now. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 6:09pm
as you point out your barrel is too early.
your receiver would have been one of the first ones on June 14, 1943 to have had the serial number applied.

Send the L sight back to George An L marked front sight may be correct for the barrel but not correct for the receiver.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Looks like a really good start. Needing a barrel band and a few small things.
Noticed the L marked Frt sight, not sure if it's real but what's up with the color? Has it been painted ?

I hope it all comes together easy and fills your need.

Congrats,
Charlie-P777

I have no reason to believe the Lyman manufactured Winchester front sight is fake. It was packed with cosmoline. I purchased that particular piece from Riverbank Armory because from my research it's correct for the barrel. 

@palmettopilot
Sorry to bring the bad news but RB sells fake parts. 

Here is one of many discussions.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/ebay-seller-legit_topic4593.html

Oh man, definitely a bummer. That's the only thing I ordered from them. I'll post some more pictures of it in natural light. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 2:34pm

You are aware of the fact that Riverbank is notorious for selling reproduction parts right?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 2:30pm

Noticed the L marked Frt sight, not sure if it's real but what's up with the color? Has it been painted ?

Congrats,
Charlie-P777

@palmettopilot
Sorry to bring the bad news but RB sells fake parts. 

Here is one of many discussions.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/ebay-seller-legit_topic4593.html
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 2:14pm

Congrats,
Charlie-P777

Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

Been there, done that; as they say.

Dad always wanted a Winchester, so I built him one, starting from a 572xxxx receiver out about a year ago.
NOS late barrel assy acquired from fellow member. Local GS did the chamber finish ream/headspacing.
Not all correct for serial, with late barrel and long channel stock but he is proud of it and that is all that matters to me. It was fun but not a cheap endeavor.

Mine will be the same way but I always wanted a Winchester. I was lucky to get the parts I did. The barrel is early for the receiver and the stock is not an I cut high wood, but it is Winchester and it's what I was able to find. I'm taking it to my armorer to have the barrel put on and receiver and headspace checked next week sometime. All parts are ordered and on the way. I'm about $1700 in so far, plus what the gunsmith will charge me. 

Originally posted by Bigheavy31 Bigheavy31 wrote:

Nice collection so far- have most of the expensive parts in hand- not an easy thing in today’s carbine market. I haven’t built one up from a receiver yet- looking to hear about your experience.

Other than the front sight which i got from a retailer. it was a lot easier to get the parts than I thought. The guy who sold me the receiver had some extra WRA parts, he introduced me to another collector friend of his who has some parts, it went on like that until I had all my parts. The community has been a great help. I'm very appreciative. I did a 1903 build from a receiver which was really cool to do. This has been fun so far and I hope to have it functional by next week!
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 8:42am
Nice collection so far- have most of the expensive parts in hand- not an easy thing in today’s carbine market. I haven’t built one up from a receiver yet- looking to hear about your experience.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 8:25am
Been there, done that; as they say.

Dad always wanted a Winchester, so I built him one, starting from a 572xxxx receiver out about a year ago.
NOS late barrel assy acquired from fellow member. Local GS did the chamber finish ream/headspacing.
Not all correct for serial, with late barrel and long channel stock but he is proud of it and that is all that matters to me. It was fun but not a cheap endeavor.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2021 at 10:50pm

Congrats,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2021 at 4:59pm
Ok guys here is what I'm working with so far! Let me know what you think!
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2021 at 2:08pm
Graig, welcome to the forum. Show us some photos of your carbine and join the party. 

I'm retired USN and in the 70's flew in Sikorsky H-3s. In the late 90's I lived north of Fort Bragg and frequently visited the Commissary and Exchange there. I miss the sandhills of NC.  On second thought, no.LOL
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2021 at 1:06pm
" If I were a betting man, I’ll bet you grab-up another functional carbine (or two, or three) to shoot/enjoy while you’re taking the time to locate and purchase just the right parts for that early WRA."
I don't know about betting, but seems like good advice.  Nothing like having a working one in your hands, and get familiar with the parts and variations.   I found filling out the data sheet was very helpful learning experience.

Re: Tank Destroyers - Former owner of my house and close neighbor was in the 601 - North Africa, Italy, Europe. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Horrible_Aim Horrible_Aim wrote:

Welcome. My grandfather was in the 805th Tank Destroyers, also what got me into carbines!
Mine was C Co 771st Tank Destroyer BN! Very cool!
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 5:17pm
Welcome. My grandfather was in the 805th Tank Destroyers, also what got me into carbines!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 4:08pm
Here's a start for reference material if you don't have it:
Also I like "The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Carbines: A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen. I'm sure some others with more "gunsmithing" experience will make some suggestions. Midway and Amazon have it.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 3:49pm
Welcome from western NC!  If I were a betting man, I’ll bet you grab-up another functional carbine (or two, or three) to shoot/enjoy while you’re taking the time to locate and purchase just the right parts for that early WRA.

I have an early Underwood “receiver only” with original already in-place rear flip sight that I bought to build 3 carbines ago.  Always on the hunt for the right parts for it.  Good earlier parts take patience to obtain, but it is a labor of love.

Is it true what they say about helicopters?  They don’t actually fly....they just beat the air into submission!

Take care and God bless
Chad
Chad
USN Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Can you post pictures of your receiver so we can see what you have to start with?
I certainly will. I'll get everything I have so far and get it together. I'll post it in the general section in a few days.

Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Hey Craig,
First let me say thank you for your service and now a hearty welcome to the forum.  Like others have said, looking forward to seeing some pics.  I have not attempted to build a carbine from the receiver up but I'm sure some on here have.  I've heard that parts can run up the cost when piecing one together.  Have you considered getting a "corrected", ready to go carbine?  Either way, there are great folks on this forum to help with your endeavor. 

Hindsight I probably should have just shelled out the money for a complete carbine but, I didn't and i like the challenge. I don't know anything about carbines, except that I've always wanted on and my grandfather carried one. I have since learned WRA parts are expensive. Oh well, I'm in it now!

Welcome Craig,
I'd also like to Thank you for your service.
Good luck on your build. Beware of Repro parts. Reach out and get opinions before buying. Consider listing WTB's here. There is no such thing as a Silly question.

To a Great 2021 Thumbs Up

Charlie-Painter777

Thank you! I will certainly keep an eye out for reproduction parts. 

Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Welcome to the forum Chief!

Thank you!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 2:49pm
Welcome to the forum Chief!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 2:24pm
Welcome Craig,
I'd also like to Thank you for your service.
Good luck on your build. Beware of Repro parts. Reach out and get opinions before buying. Consider listing WTB's here. There is no such thing as a Silly question.

To a Great 2021 Thumbs Up

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2021 at 1:28pm
Hey Craig,
First let me say thank you for your service and now a hearty welcome to the forum.  Like others have said, looking forward to seeing some pics.  I have not attempted to build a carbine from the receiver up but I'm sure some on here have.  I've heard that parts can run up the cost when piecing one together.  Have you considered getting a "corrected", ready to go carbine?  Either way, there are great folks on this forum to help with your endeavor. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>