Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock questions for Saginaw S'G'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyI19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock questions for Saginaw S'G'
    Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 7:20am
Okay all, I am still researching my stock.  I have heard several different people who have been around Carbines contradict each other (unknowingly) when it comes to what is correct for my gun.

I have a S'G' 3616618.  all parts are marked S'G'  Barrel is Marked SAGINAW S.G. DIV GENERAL MOTORS.

So now I am asking, what kind of markings do I need on my stock. Everyone I have talked to and all my own research indicates I need a Oval Cut, Type 2 High wood stock.  My question is would it be S'G' and crossed cannons, or SG and crossed cannons, or something else.  I do realize it would have RSG in the sling well and handguard has 2 rivets.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Retired Army Captain
      (Mustang)
Retired LEO (NJSP)
NRA Life Member
VFW Legacy Life Member
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 11:45am
First...I do not profess to be an expert.  Please feel free to add or correct if I am hosed-up, but think this is the correct skinny.
Your serial for S'G' would most likely have a T-2 stock (HW and oval cut) with (in a perfect world) an:
- RSG in the sling-well and then
- stamped on the right side of the stock with an S'G' in a square box
- as well as a smaller crossed cannon cartouche
- It may or may not have a stamped P with a circle around the P on the bottom of the pistol grip.
BUT....as mentioned prior, due to lateral support, a correct stock COULD have another manufacturer other than "RSG" in the sling well.  The only way you would trust/know the manufacturer other than RSG in the sling-well is original to an S'G' is if the stock still showed the legitimate/original S'G' stamp in the box on the right side and maybe the cartouche as well.  I say "legitimate/original" because there are stamps currently available, and have been available for some time, where some folks stamp or "re-stamp" their stocks.  With time, you can tell an original stamp from a newer stamp.

The problem with stamps on the right side of the stock (original stamps) is that they are often no longer there or are EXTREMELY faint.  The hand-stamp may have not been very pronounced when it was stamped at the factory in 1943 and may have been sanded a bit over the years.  You may find a great T-2 stock with RSG in the sling-well with no noticeable stamps on the right side of the stock.  For the right price, I'd jump on it and then upgrade if you ever find one with legitimate correct stamps on the right side of the stock.  Without a stamped box with either SG or S'G' in it and no crossed cannon cartouche (larger or small), a T-2 RSG made stock is correct for either flavor of Saginaw.

In the current market, great stocks are becoming harder and harder to find and more expensive.
Chad
USN Retired
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 11:49am
To be clearer.....the stamped crossed cannon cartouche is NOT in a box or the same box as the S'G' stamp.  It is separate and is by itself.
Chad
USN Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 2:30pm
The requirement to stamp the P in circle was dropped early to mid 1943, though Inland continued use till late 1943.
That is not an early number, as a matter of fact it is in the SG/S'G' mix up range. Remember they were both one company operating at two factories.

This is why we are canvasing again the SG/S'G' receivers in a survey which can be found here.

Stocks used at the Saginaw factory also used the RSG but had additional letters in the slingwell. Presumably some form of inspection.

Any carbine being delivered out of the Grand Rapids plant I would expect to see the S'G' in a box along with a crossed cannons cartouche.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2020 at 7:16pm
I haven't chased it down (the SG serial range), which I'm lazy about all the makers and serial break off for features, but not all SG stocks had the additional numbers and letters. I have at least one original SG with none. I think it's just one of them. The other odd SG has a TRIMBLE TN stock with the additional numbers/letters.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2020 at 11:13am
There's a couple photos of what seems to be an S'G' stock in my intro thread.  (Based on the comments, it seems to be a legit S'G').

At this point the fact its the 'wrong' stock doesn't bother me.  I've just accepted that it may have been replaced any time from shortly after issue to as recently as five years ago.    Anyway it gives you some reference photos.

edit:  According to the marking cross ref on the main website, I have no idea if my stock is a legit ref for an S'G'.   It shows RSG stocks went to Saginaw, not Grad Rapids. 
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/stocks.html
Maybe someone who knows physical differences, if any, can better say.

Edited by Matt_X - Dec 14 2020 at 10:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply