Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sharp Eyes Dept: Carbine Scabbard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharp Eyes Dept: Carbine Scabbard
    Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 7:02pm
It is funny how things happen. Just the other day I got a S. Froelich Co. 1943 Motor Vehicle Leather Scabbard.
It was quite hard so I was doing cleaning and applying of leather conditioner when Dave Tennent sent me a video of a reenactment of the liberation of Belgium with US soldiers.

To commemorate the liberation of Belgium, this column of army vehicles of that period drives all the way through Belgium via the same route that they traveled 75 years ago. This was their arrival in Sint-Truiden. A city in Belgium. Hundreds of people cheered along the roads they took like many years ago. The column consists of amateurs and real soldiers. They told the press that they were greatly moved every time they drove through a row of enthusiastic crowds to celebrate their reception. Just like with the liberation 75 years ago. Different nationalities participate. Like the same real thing many years ago.

Dave points out there is a carbine scabbard (about 1:48 mark) and hopes it is real.

This appears to be version I have not observed other than in War Baby 2 page 654.

Notice it does not have the metal plate for the slide handle. The leather goes over it.

It was from a Camel advertisement

Does anyone own or have any pictures of this wider scabbard?

Edited by New2brass - Sep 06 2019 at 7:32pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 9:09pm
The one in the Camel add looks close to the top one pictured below. But need a better view.

Top to bottom:
Scabbard, Submachinegun, M1940 with M1928A1 Thompson SMG
Scabbard, Rifle, M1938 with M1 (Garand) Rifle
Scabbard, Carbine, M1, Leather with M1 Carbine
Scabbard, Carbine, M1A1 with Folding Stock M1A1 Carbine

Best I can do tonight..
Have a Good Weekend,
Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 12:53pm
Question to both or anyone who might know. I have never seen a scabbard in person. Wondering if the scabbard would leave wear on a carbine like it does on military Colt .45’s? 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 12:42pm
@M1A1,
Yes it will leave wear if used often as in in and out.
Especially with the hardened crusty dry scabbards in dire need of oiling.
Just using for temp display and being gentle shows nothing I can detect.
But I don't leave arms in leather for any extended periods.

Good Sunday To You,
CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 2:26pm
Thanks Charlie. Does the carbine move at all when installed in the scabbard? Is the scabbard lined with anything or is it just leather on metal contact? I'm guessing it isn't like modern holsters where a firearm like a Glock is very secure yet easy to deploy when needed.

What product do you use on the leather since it is antique? Do you know if the military had a recommendation for leather care on the scabbard? If it did, it's probably not something folks worried about whether during or after the war.

Apologies for all of the questions...I find the Jeep scabbard interesting and look forward to learning about how to identify and care for one before a future acquisition.

@Dave T - Appreciate the video. Great find to watch a video and recognize something carbine related! I suspect sharing that other link in a separate thread would make many, very...happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image