Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front signt manugacturer identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front signt manugacturer identification
    Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 1:11pm
Hello members I have two carbines that are shooters I need to calibrate the point of impact of these two rifles and the ramp sit position. To do that I need to file this front site down but do not want to ruin it if it's of any value to someone. I looked on the site and it has an R marked on it. I'll send pictures.
David Milisock
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 1:12pm
Here is a 100 yard group this rifle shoots, the paper plate is 9" the center of the plate is 5.5". Sitting with a rest 5 shots in 11 seconds.

David Milisock
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 1:37pm
Your front sight was made by Rudy Furnace Company. Pretty common sight.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 2:02pm
Smile So in your opinion me filing .032" off of it and refinishing won't give a fellow carbine enthusiast a heart attack.
David Milisock
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 2:15pm
If it were mine I would leave it alone, but I don't shoot much beyond 100 yds. What setting was your rear sight at for those shots?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 3:57pm
Why do you want to shorten your sight post? Your group picture if anything (assuming your POA is the staple) indicates your carbine is shooting high. If you file your front sight down so the post is shorter, you will shoot even higher.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 8:25pm
I hope to answer all questions with post.
My sight on this carbine is set at the highest setting, which should be 300 yards not 100.  A 6 o'clock hold has the center of group 4 to 5 inches high, which is reasonable as you can't hit a target you must cover with your sight.
Many people think seeing a 9" plate at 100 yards with peep sights is tough I do it at 200 yards with 40% hits, yes that plate is tiny. The plate is the size of a mans head, the 30 carbine is an awesome 200 - yard combat rifle.
My reason for adjusting the height of the front blade is this, I have 2 carbines. My sight on the Quality Hardware is set low at the 100 yard setting and shoots about 5" high at 100 yards and the ramp adjustments are accurate and functional out to 300 yards. 
I want both carbine ramp sights set at the same setting. So I want to file down the one so that the ramp sights on both rifles have the same setting, the same impact point and be functional to 300 yards.

In reality we all know the limitations of the cartridge, the sights and sight radius of the M1 carbine. So I have no illusions of precision 300 yard shooting but will be using both rifles in practical combat games coordinating the sight settings has many benefits.

Yes I have too much time on my hands. BTW from a prone position I hit center of mass on man sized targets 50% of the time at 300 yards.

FUN!
David Milisock
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 10:15pm
Your Quality carbine shoots 5" high at 100 yards on its rear sight 100 yard setting.

This other carbine shoots 5" high at 100 yards on its 300 yard setting.

If you lower the rear sight on this carbine to its 100 yard setting where does it shoot at 100 yards?
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 10:59pm
When I lower the ramp sight setting on the rifle from the 300 yard setting to 100 yard setting the rifle shoots well over a foot low at 100 yards. By my calculations we're looking to start at .018 inches and take more if required. Better to move slowly, I can always take more off.
David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply