Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Operating Slide Chart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Operating Slide Chart
    Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 9:50am
Suggest you post in a reference section the operating slide chart.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Official Response Official Response
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 8:06pm
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2016 at 10:27am
Hi folks.

I won't go into the long explanations I've given a few others as to why the slides on the website are a different numbering system than those used by the Club. As well as most of the other "types" throughout the website.

The website is in the realm of the world wide web. The "type" assignments I used are those commonly used by tens of thousands of people on and off the internet. I didn't pick them, they did. I chose to use the language they understand.

The website is an introduction to carbines for the basic to intermediate level. The charts for the Club are a step beyond and an easy transition for those interested.

Constructing a page for the Club for use with the datasheet is intended when we build our own instructions for filling them out.

Jim
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 10:35am
If you click on top banner it takes to the home pages. This is where many photos and explanations are.

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 11:17am
Just looked at that. Thanks. Unfortunately, Jim has elected to use a type system that uses Roman numerals 1-6. That numbering system was started by Reisch (I think) and the Carbine Club never used that numbering system. The photo below shows a chart showing the system used by the Carbine Club.

Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 7:26am
Also notice that the most current CC data sheet differentiates between a slide with or without the increased dwell. I.E. L379A or L379B. There is no allowance for that in the Roman numeral designation.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 8:06pm
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 9:24pm
this is very cool, of course I have to get a lot carbine smarter to understand it
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 9:22am
looks good to me
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 10:53am
Very nice!!  Thanks for putting the time and effort into it. 
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2016 at 10:27am
Hi folks.

I won't go into the long explanations I've given a few others as to why the slides on the website are a different numbering system than those used by the Club. As well as most of the other "types" throughout the website.

The website is in the realm of the world wide web. The "type" assignments I used are those commonly used by tens of thousands of people on and off the internet. I didn't pick them, they did. I chose to use the language they understand.

The website is an introduction to carbines for the basic to intermediate level. The charts for the Club are a step beyond and an easy transition for those interested.

Constructing a page for the Club for use with the datasheet is intended when we build our own instructions for filling them out.

Jim
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 6:23pm

I have an Inland receiver with a replacement slide marked 4826 along the arm and what appears to be slide box markings on the inside bottom P> and outside bottom 1V. Does anyone know who the manufacturer might be?

Thanks.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 7:41pm
Can you tell if the 4826 is stamped or etched like a Electro pencil will do ?

The marking inside the Op slide box could be P.I. 
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 8:01pm
Next question is if 4826 is the last 4 of your serial number?
Is the slide blued or a black color?

Did you figure the type of slide from chart and is it consistent with your serial range?
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 8:01pm

The number is stamped.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 8:15pm

The stamped number is not the last four digits of my serial number which is Inland 3015372. The slide is blued. The slide appears to be a match for L479 Type VI. Not sure if that is consistent with serial number production date.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 8:16pm

Thanks.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 8:28pm
A L379 is possible, not a L479
It would seem that you wound up with a slide from a carbine that went to Germany or Austria. Some of the agency's would mark several of the parts with the last 4 digits of serial number so they could keep the parts together.
Basically the carbine was the first semiautomatic firearm that had completely interchangeable pieces that required no "Fitting" of parts. 
Austria and Germany had some fine gun builders, but everything was hand fitted. It was common practice to number the parts so they knew which part belonged to which gun. 

Many of the early returns were correct as left the factory which was a boon to the carbine enthusiast. Sadly many broke them down to parts to build other carbines and the history was lost.

In case you did not know, if you click on the top banner it will take you to the main pages where there is a ton of information.
On left side menu you can click on "Occupation Carbines" and learn a lot about the carbines lent to Austria and Germany. Do take a look at "The Armory" to see lots of carbines as they received them.

Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 8:41pm

Dan

Thank you very much for the information.

Paul
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 9:10pm

Dan,

Thank you very much for the information. In reviewing the links you recommended, I believe my slide was made by Packard Manufacturing Co. for Inland and as such, may of been slated for use in an occupation carbine in Austria or Germany.

Thanks again.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2018 at 10:33pm
If it had been electro'd I've had bolt top and slide arms marked with:
Driver license numbers
Full or last 4 digits of SS#
GI's serial number.
Once he said stamped... You lean toward Germ/Bav.

Now he's got it and can rest until he see's another carbine mystery ??

Good job new brass :}
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

Dan,

Thank you very much for the information. In reviewing the links you recommended, I believe my slide was made by Packard Manufacturing Co. for Inland and as such, may of been slated for use in an occupation carbine in Austria or Germany.

Thanks again.

PI would be made as stated. But if L479 I would expect numbers on bottom.
L379 may or may not have a different set of numbers.
The L479 slide was the last revision which had the side cut for the M2 but also works with the M1.

There were also earlier slides that were modified to work with the M2.

No parts were slated for occupation carbines.
Production carbines for the US military stayed in Germany/Austria in the US occupied zones. If you look throughout the pages linked above you will see that they went to various police agencys.

Being that they did not come home they escaped being reworked at arsenals where parts would be mixed and all upgrades added.

Today it is very hard to find a true original carbine as it left the factory. Those occupation carbines came back many times as original but with marking. Sometimes removed.

The way I look at it is that they have a verifiable history that shows some of where they served.

But i think it is a little off topic as i think we established your slide was not original to your carbine via the 4 digits.

Just the same I am sure most will find carbines a bit more intriguing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>